Resources to support school vegetable gardening projects
Plant families and life cycles of plants:
These Smart Notebook and PowerPoint resources are rich in photographs showing every stage in the life cycle of the vegetables that the children may grow in their vegetable patch.
There are four separate resources each focusing on a particular plant family. Each resource is provided in three formats:
· PowerPoint version 2007 – linked to a series of Smart Notebook activities
· PowerPoint version 97 – 2003 - linked to a series of Smart Notebook activities
· Smart Notebook - contains the content of the PowerPoint versions and activities · Original high quality photographs, (over 120 in Peas and Beans resource), that can be used when making worksheets or within children's work
All are fully editable using the appropriate software allowing teachers the freedom to simplify or edit the resources for younger or less able children. The PowerPoint formats are each linked to a series of Smart Notebook activities.
All resources can be used freely within the purchasing organisation and by teachers at home, for the purpose of lesson planning for use within the purchasing organisation.
The vegetables are grouped into four different 'families'
1) Peas and Beans (pea, broad bean, French bean and runner bean) - available end of November 2008
2) The Onion family (onion, leek, garlic, spring onion and shallot) - available January 2009
3) Root Vegetables (potato, parsnip, carrot, beetroot, radish, swede and turnip) - available January 2009
4) The Cabbage Family (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, sprout and kale) - available 2009
5) The Cucumber Family (cucumber, squash, courgette, marrow, pumpkin, melon) - planned
6) Salad Crops - planned